Shudder(stall) at Idle after Filling Gas Tank - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Go Back  Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > Past Ford Models > Aspire/Festiva/Fiesta
Reload this Page >

Shudder(stall) at Idle after Filling Gas Tank

Aspire/Festiva/Fiesta Possibly one of the original "sub compacts" this car offered amazinf fuel economy.

Shudder(stall) at Idle after Filling Gas Tank

Old 12-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Default Shudder(stall) at Idle after Filling Gas Tank

Hello,

I have a couple 2016 Ford Fiesta that we bought used last year with 26k miles. After the car went out of warranty we started noticing that after filling up our tank the car would shudder/shake intermittently at idle and the rpms would dip slightly.

I scoured the internet and couldn't find anything. Then recently it has gotten worse to the point where the car will stall. This only happens after filling up! I can put the car in neutral and rev the engine to keep it from happening, or after driving for a few minutes I dont have to worry about it and the car functions normally.

I looked online and self diagnosed it as a purge valve solenoid issue for the EVAP system, and decided to just take to a shop to have them confirm and replace it for me. I had heard that if its not taken care of you can collapse your gas tank and need a new fuel pump (2500 dollar repair). But when I took it in they said that it could NOT be the evap solenoid since the car hadn't thrown any codes, they told me that they could not diagnose it and that I would just have to wait for it to break or throw a code.

what the heck do I do?!
TIA.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:21 AM

Some vehicles, especially the newer ones, will not tolerate filling the gas tank to the very top. What happens is; the vapor recovery system is supposed to capture the gasoline vapors in a charcoal canister when filling the tank with gas, and burn the vapors later when a pre set of conditions are met, ie., speed temp etc.
If the tank is constantly filled to the top the liquid gets into the charcoal canister and causes problems. Now the canister needs to be replaced and the vapor lines purged of charcoal granules. Sooooo, if you are topping off the tank, stop fueling when the nozzle shuts off if the tank is full !

Now this may or may not apply in which case you might have another shop check you vehicle for a different problem. We like to have a code to provide some guidance, but not all conditions will throw a code.