Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

Galaxie 500 front drum dragging/ power steering working?

Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 PM
Default Galaxie 500 front drum dragging/ power steering working?

I'm trying to help my mother in law with this. It's a '67 Galaxie 500 390 auto four door car, four wheel drum brakes. From what I can tell her brother replaced the front pads, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and possibly master cylinder/booster. I wish I had more info but they're feuding. The complaint was that the front right brake drags and gets hot. I replaced the old brake hose and the not so old wheel cylinder, this didn't change anything. I've verified the bigger pad is towards the rear of the car. With the tire off the ground I can spin the wheel backwards with some effort but it's very hard to spin forwards. The drivers side tire spins fine. If I crack open the bleeder fluid comes out and I can then spin the wheel.

I don't know what else could be wrong, there's some kind of block that is under the master cylinder that both front and rear brake lines go to but I don't know what it does. The master cylinder has a bigger reservoir for the front brakes(which is the rear reservoir). I thought on the drum brake cars the two reservoirs where the same and only disc brake cars were unequal?

Also this thing has power steering but I'm not sure it's working. Maneuvering into a parking spot is a difficult affair with both hands manhandling the steering wheel. I would have thought an old boat like this would have the over-boosted steering for little old ladies? Any idea where to start there?

Thanks

Old 05-13-2019, 02:02 PM

The power steering reservoir was empty so that might be solved.😑

Old 05-13-2019, 02:18 PM

Something you might try,
Trace the brake line back to the master cyl so you know the fluids exact path. Then after a brake application loosen that line working your way up to the master cyl. Each time you will need to charge that line. There are a few places where the problem may lie, but I believe you will eventually find a connection where there will be no pressure to release. If it is present all the way up to the master cyl we don't know if the stroke of the rod going from the brake pedal thru the booster on to the master has been changed.To confirm if that could be the problem just loosen the 2 nuts that hold the master to the booster and move it toward the front of the vehicle a little . If that releases the pressure shorten the rod slightly.or you may be able to adjust the pedal return stop position..

Make sure you use "Power Steering Fluid " in the reservoir It can better handle the heat.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by hanky View Post
Something you might try,
Trace the brake line back to the master cyl so you know the fluids exact path. Then after a brake application loosen that line working your way up to the master cyl. Each time you will need to charge that line. There are a few places where the problem may lie, but I believe you will eventually find a connection where there will be no pressure to release. If it is present all the way up to the master cyl we don't know if the stroke of the rod going from the brake pedal thru the booster on to the master has been changed.To confirm if that could be the problem just loosen the 2 nuts that hold the master to the booster and move it toward the front of the vehicle a little . If that releases the pressure shorten the rod slightly.or you may be able to adjust the pedal return stop position..

Make sure you use "Power Steering Fluid " in the reservoir It can better handle the heat.
That makes sense, Iíll start cracking the lines open, hopefully nothing breaks.

As as for the power steering, whoops, I already filled it up with atf because thatís what the dipstick says to use.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:19 PM

The power steering fluid is pouring out the shaft on the bottom where the steering linkage bolts on. Does anyone know if thatís a serviceable seal?

Old 05-13-2019, 07:10 PM

If I understand exactly where you are indicating, yes the seal is replaceable. It is called the sector shaft seal. If you are planning to attempt its replacement, you might consider the following;
Clean the area well
notice there are alignment marks on the shaft end and the sector arm that is held on the sector shaft splines. On reinstallation those alignment marks must go back in the same place as before removal. It is not a difficult job , just take your time. You might need to drill a hole or two in the seal to install 2 screws to pry it out. Careful and even installation will provide a good seal. Just make sure the shaft surface is clean and smooth. Good practice is to make sure you have the correct seal before starting removal.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:33 PM

Yes itís the sector shaft seal. Iíll see if I can find one. I have a feeling getting the pitman arm off will be the hardest part.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:47 PM

Once you remove the bolt holding the arm on the shaft , you might want to rent a pitman arm puller from one of your local auto stores. It can make the job much easier and quicker..