Parasitic Draw Identified - Now What? - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Parasitic Draw Identified - Now What?

Old 12-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Default Parasitic Draw Identified - Now What?

Hello, friends. I recently bought a 2004 E-250. I discovered that it has a a parasitic draw issue -- if it sat more than a few days it would not start.

Using the troubleshooting tactics detailed on Youtube (
) I identified the culprit as fuse #22 in the passenger fuse panel (under the steering wheel). According to a fuse diagram for my particular vehicle and year (https://www.autogenius.info/ford-e-2...e-box-diagram/) that fuse is responsible for "Memory power radio, Rear seat video control unit, Battery saver relay, Instrument cluster, Courtesy lamp relay, Accessory delay relay".

My question for you -- someone who likely has a much greater grasp on vehicle mechanics -- is, what's the next step? Could I just pull the fuse and leave it out to eliminate the parasitic draw issue? I don't mind if I don't have a radio or an overhead light and there is no video unit in the vehicle. But might the other stated uses of that fuse -- "Battery saver relay ... Instrument cluster ... Accessory delay relay" -- be critical?

I should note, when the fuse is reinserted a clicking, mechanical sound is audible. Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 12-06-2018, 06:10 PM

Something you might check,
Look behind the fuse panel for any excess rust or moisture. Some models had a moisture intrusion problem from a leaking windshield.If that is evident you may need to remove the GEM (Generic Electronic Module) and clean it to remove any moisture or corrosion.