Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2008 Escape 2.3L steering goes out every so often.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 01:05 PM
Default 2008 Escape 2.3L steering goes out every so often.

I have a 2008 escape as described above in the title that sometimes what it will do is when you’re driving down the road the steering gets really stiff and goes into manual mode and the engine light starts flashing. Unfortunately I have not been able to pull the code because it only happens for a few minutes and then it clears. I know there was a recall for this vehicle, and it was taken in, in 2017for the recall, but it seems like the issue is happening again. We did not own the vehicle when it was first supposedly recalled. Also, the dashboard is showing that the vehicle has over 991,000 miles which we know it does not. I’ve tried resetting the cluster but it keeps coming back with over 991163.5 miles, which I know it doesn’t have.

Old 03-18-2023, 04:54 PM

If you want to get that possible code you might leave your reader on all the time and you just might be able to catch it.

As far as resetting the mileage, it requires special equip to do that and sometimes the cluster has to be sent out to have that repaired.
If everybody could reset their mileage the readings would be worthless..

Old 03-19-2023, 09:37 AM
Default Electrical issue

Originally Posted by hanky
If you want to get that possible code you might leave your reader on all the time and you just might be able to catch it.

As far as resetting the mileage, it requires special equip to do that and sometimes the cluster has to be sent out to have that repaired.
If everybody could reset their mileage the readings would be worthless..
The truck definitely has an electrical issue because the other thing that it’s doing that I should’ve mentioned earlier is that the heating and cooling system will kick on as soon as you start the vehicle and you cannot shut it off or work any of the controls until about 15 minutes after the vehicle has been running and then you can turn it off or do whatever you desire, but until Some time has passed after you started the vehicle, you cannot control the heating or ventilation or air conditioning in the vehicle. I don’t think it’s the controls on the dash because like I said after about 15 minutes of the vehicle running they work perfectly fine. Any ideas? What could be causing this? Also along with the dash showing very incorrect mileage. I was kind of hoping that I wouldn’t have to send the instrument cluster out for repair because it’s showing almost 1,000,000 miles that I know the vehicle does not have on it. If this vehicle is in this condition and had that many miles. I’m sure Ford would want to hear about it so they could promote the longevity of their vehicles.