Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky Outer Brake Pad? Caliper? Driver's Side

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 08:50 PM
Default Sticky Outer Brake Pad? Caliper? Driver's Side

I thank anyone of you for reading this.

F-150, 2014, 3.5 Eco 4x4 - 207,000 miles

Driver's side
Problem: While the inner brake pad is barely wearing down at all, if any, the outer brake pad is going from completely brand new to completely gone and metal grinding within just 5 weeks. Passenger side, no problems at all. Only on the driver's side, outer brake pad.

We installed a brand new caliper. Bled all 4 brake lines.
Brand new rotor, due to metal grinding (starting at the top)
The exact same problem still persists.

We have not flushed and replaced brake fluid.

Hunch: Maybe the metal brake line before the rubber hose has flattened somewhere??
Hunch: Maybe something's wrong with my master cylinder? If this were true, why would only the driver's side have a problem and not also the passenger's side?

When driving, the brake pad is clearly remaining pressed against the rotor even when the foot is off the brakes. ONLY the outer pad is wearing, the inner pad is not wearing at all. Only happening on the driver's side.
However, a brand new Caliper should not have a sticky piston right? Should not behave exactly as the old caliper was? What are the chances?

Current plan:
Clean the guide bolts that hold the caliper on, where it slides
Replace the brake hose
Flush brake fluid, maybe
Hope for the best,
or hope to find help from someone online or in person

Could something as simple as the brake pads not sliding inside of the grooves/brackets that hold them cause a pad to remain against the rotor?

Thank you again to anyone who has read this.

Side story: I had a brake hose split and leak, and lost brake pressure, while in a turn lane in the city during the middle of my pool route. Auto zone shade tree mechanic replaced it much faster than I would have alone and so I thankfully didn't have to make my boss unhappy. There was just enough pressure to drive it around while I kept an eye on the brake fluid level while moving the truck here and there, gas station etc.

Old 10-13-2023, 01:38 PM

On some calipers there is a flat surface that the pad slides on. That problem should not develop wit a new caliper unless the pads are not right..

It might be a good move to check the pads before assembling everything to assure that they are free to slide.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:56 PM

Thanks Hanky, I'll certainly try this out.