Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

1994 4x4 3.0 requires a lot of gas to start on a hill.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 10:21 AM

It may not be specified, but if not installed correctly, which means there must be some free ply clearance, that is why we wind up with the above problem.

If we know and understand EXACTLY how the system works , when it has a problem ,then we have some idea where to look for the cause of it not working right.
There are people that have been doing clutch replacements that were nothing more than parts replacers. Sometimes it takes a little time to sit down and look at what is really happening instead of throwing parts at a problem hoping the problem will go away.

If the pieces were set up correctly when installed new , we would like to think when we install new parts , no adjustment is required. I'm sure you already are aware this not always the case. That yoke or rod that is pinned to the clutch pedal is usually adjustable just for that purpose.

If a new clutch disc, pressure plate and release bearing are not installed and adjusted correctly, if necessary, some problem could develop.
The first is the clutch never applies completely and therefore begins to slip , overheat and wear out quickly.
The other extreme is there is too much free ply and when the pedal is depressed the clutch doesn't release completely and the disc keeps turning the input shaft of the trans and shifting in and out of gear is difficult to get out of gear or results in gear clash trying to get into gear.

Then of course there is the hydraulic system that is another part to make sure is working right.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:51 AM

Sorry it took so long to respond. She brought the truck over and I took it for a test drive and I have to say that there is nothing wrong with that clutch. She tends to be an over worrier. Thanks for the responses. It turned out to be an interesting thread. I think.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the update.
Is there any free ply in the clutch pedal?