General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

distributor/voltage problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Default distributor/voltage problem

Hi, All its been awhile..Here's my problem I have a 1976 Ford f 600 dump with a 360 v-8 that wont start.. when I moved it started and ran normal just finish putting new points and condenser cap wire's etc...went to start it 2 week later and now it wont start.. I have a voltage issue Turn the key on and check volt @ the coil have only 6 volts on the battery side..0 volt on the distributor side ..now if I pull the distributor side off the coil ..my 12 volts is there..when I plug it back in on the distributor side back to 0 volt there and 6 volts on the battery side...Now with that said I..replace the coil and the voltage and voltage regulator condenser and also the distributor and it still the same...NEED YOUR HELP ... if you have any idea please let me know...Thank you for your time

Old 03-06-2019, 05:13 PM

Do you recall what gap you set the contact points to when the rubbing block of the points was on the high point of the dist cam? Should be about .015 in. About the thickness of a matchbook cover. Also did you replace the cap one wire at a time or placed the wires in any tower. Important to go in firing order and correct dist rotation. (clockwise/counter clockwise) We 'll take things one at a time. I don't know how much you are familiar with, so help me out and don't spare the details, thanks.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Do you recall what gap you set the contact points to when the rubbing block of the points was on the high point of the dist cam? Should be about .015 in. About the thickness of a matchbook cover. Also did you replace the cap one wire at a time or placed the wires in any tower. Important to go in firing order and correct dist rotation. (clockwise/counter clockwise) We 'll take things one at a time. I don't know how much you are familiar with, so help me out and don't spare the details, thanks.
Thanks for your help..I put the wires on one at a time..I'm going to find a wiring diagram and do it that way I missed with it yesterday and noticed that when the points are open I get 12 volt and when closed 6 volts is that right or is there something wrong.. I'll find a wiring diagram and start from there I will keep you posted.. Thanks for your time..

Old 03-07-2019, 10:01 AM

There is nothing wrong , it is supposed to do that.
What is critical is the point gap, make sure you set that correctly.
You don't need a wiring diagram, because it is pretty simple Again just make sure to set the point gap as suggested earlier.
Did you remove the dist or move it from it's earlier position? That will affect timing and if you didn't move it, best not to until you get it running.
When everything was set correctly , they ran pretty good.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
There is nothing wrong , it is supposed to do that.
What is critical is the point gap, make sure you set that correctly.
You don't need a wiring diagram, because it is pretty simple Again just make sure to set the point gap as suggested earlier.
Did you remove the dist or move it from it's earlier position? That will affect timing and if you didn't move it, best not to until you get it running.
When everything was set correctly , they ran pretty good.
Thanks Hank, I got it running great again it was all in the points..and timing ... I guess I really need glasses ..Thanks again for your time..John

Old 03-08-2019, 03:06 PM

Glad you got it running, thanks for the update.