Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Windstar poor shift to 2nd when hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Default Windstar poor shift to 2nd when hot

I've got a 2001 Windstar with 221,000 miles. Lately when the engine and trans are hot, like driving around town a while or 30 minutes on the highway. You come to a stop. Take off normally and the engine climbs toward redline. The shift is way to high in the power band for normal load start, or it slips and then pops into second. It might also climb the RPM's not shift for a second or two. Then it shifts. All the other gears seem to shift fine. Downshifts are never a problem. It doesn't do it every time. But when warm, happens more frequently. Maybe 1 in 10 starts.

Fluid level is good.
I was actually going to sell the van, but I'd like to give a shot to fix it. When you sell an older car like this, it's usually cheap. Typically people buying cheap cars don't have a lot of money. I'd hate to sell it to someone and have it fail.

I haven't had a chance to check for codes yet. It probably hasn't had a trans service in a long time. Not sure how much a filter and fluid change might help. Before trying, I thought I'd see if there are any common solenoids or other issues I should plan for or look at?

Anyone have details instructions on how to get the fluid from the torque convert and swap the filter?

Thanks
G

Old 07-11-2018, 06:46 PM

The only way to get the fluid exchanged in the torque converter is to exchange it with the engine running. You are on the right track having it checked for codes.
The mileage is the critical factor here and you may not have much choice if it has never been rebuilt thoroughly before. Sounds like a valve body problem.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
The only way to get the fluid exchanged in the torque converter is to exchange it with the engine running. You are on the right track having it checked for codes.
The mileage is the critical factor here and you may not have much choice if it has never been rebuilt thoroughly before. Sounds like a valve body problem.
Thanks Is the valve body easy to do if you're swapping a filter and doing a fluid service?

Old 07-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Unless you have the facilities and reference manuals, I would not recommend getting involved with the valve body.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

How does it shift if you manually upshift for select the ranges?

Old 07-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Unless you have the facilities and reference manuals, I would not recommend getting involved with the valve body.
Thanks...

Originally Posted by Hayapower
How does it shift if you manually upshift for select the ranges?
It happens so infrequently, I can't say. I haven't tried manually. I will try it. But I suspect it would be fine. But if it was, I wouldn't be sure it just wasn't a time it wasn't acting up.

Anything I should be looking for?

Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 AM

There are a whole bunch of schools of thought regarding changing fluid and filter when a whole lot of miles went by and hoping a fluid and filter change will cure certain problems. Sometimes it works and helps and sometimes it makes the problem worse and causes other problems.

We all know clean fluid and filter are necessary for good operation, but when neglected or disregarded , the piper is always standing by to get paid.
What I am trying to say is , good routine maintenance most of the time really pays off.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:45 AM

There are a whole bunch of schools of thought regarding changing fluid and filter when a whole lot of miles went by and hoping a fluid and filter change will cure certain problems. Sometimes it works and helps and sometimes it makes the problem worse and causes other problems.

We all know clean fluid and filter are necessary for good operation, but when neglected or disregarded , the piper is always standing by to get paid.
What I am trying to say is , good routine maintenance most of the time really pays off.
Can't argue with that logic. We'll see what happens.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:52 AM

It is important to keep a positive frame of mind. You are trying to do the right thing and , well,
Sometimes Bengi gets the bear and sometimes the bear gets Benji.
What does the fluid smell like , typical trans fluid or possibly a burned odor?
Also, is it really almost black or light red/pink, that can sometimes help with a diagnosis.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:56 AM

It is important to keep a positive frame of mind. You are trying to do the right thing and , well,
Sometimes Bengi gets the bear and sometimes the bear gets Benji.
What does the fluid smell like , typical trans fluid or possibly a burned odor?
Also, is it really almost black or light red/pink, that can sometimes help with a diagnosis.
Appreciate the help.

When I checked the fluid last week, the color and smell were good.